Sunday, March 1, 2009

Third Quarter Outside Reading Book

The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks. Warner Books, 2004. Genre: Realistic fiction


This book is about a summer that two people always whished to remember. A boy name Noah and a girl named Allie fell in love. They both came from two totally different families and had to sneak out most of the time to see each other. Allies parents have a hard time excepting Noah and are trying hard to get her not to like him because they are just in New Bern for the summer. They story goes on and Allie and Noah get into a fight right before Allie leaves. Allie writes letters but never mails them. In the end Allie gets engaged and ends up visiting New Bern and going back to Noah. They fall in love deeper this time and Allie has to make the decision of who she wants to spend the rest of her life with.
"A one-night read. . . Sparks generates authentic emotional power. . . If you are in need of a good cry, THE NOTEBOOK is absolutely the right book."
-- USA Today
The writing style of the book flows perfectly. Everything about it makes you want to keep reading it and it’s very hard to put down. This book doesn’t just ramble on about nonsense there is always something interesting and exciting going on.
I found this book easy to understand but a bit hard to follow. If I hadn’t seen the movie I couldn’t have gotten how Allie had forgotten everything in her life and Noah was the one reading and narrating this to her. This book really made me sad but also was so happy. It had a heartbreaking ending that was not expected.
“The hurt began to fade and it was easier to just let go. At least I thought it was. But in every boy I met in the next few years, I found myself looking for you, and when the feelings got too strong I'd write you another letter. But I never sent them, in fear of what I might find. By then, you'd gone on with your life and I didn't want to think about you loving someone else. I wanted to remember us like we were that summer. I didn’t want to ever forget that.” (174).
I loved this book because it was such an amazing story. This book made me realize that you should really just follow your heart no matter what people say. That what Allie did and people got hurt but realized it was the right choice. I really liked the way that Sparks chose to write this story and I am definitely going to read the sequel to The Notebook.

No comments: